My top 5 favorite password managers
One of the worst mistakes people make online is the re-using of the same password on multiple sites. It's inconvenient to try to remember several complex passwords and it's insecure to carry around a piece of paper with your data clearly shown in plain text. This is where Password Managers come into play.
A password manager is a program or service that stores credentials and other sensitive data using encryption that provides a safe, secure, and convenient way to manage all of your usernames and passwords. Instead of remembering a dozen passwords, a password manager allows you to remember only one. One password will unlock all of your data. While this may sound less secure, there are ways to help mitigate security concerns like Two-Factor Authentication (2FA), Yubi keys, Authenticator software, etc. so even if your password is compromised, someone would need multiple methods, including but not limited to physically possessing your unlocked phone, to open your password vault.
I have used many different password managers over the years. Each had their good and bad points and some are no longer around because they were compromised in some horrible way. There are several that have evolved into very popular services that offer cutting-edge security and reliability.
Here are the top 5 that I like:
- Lock your passwords and private information with end-to-end AES-256 bit encryption, salted hashing, and PBKDF2 SHA-256.
- Secure and share sensitive data within your Bitwarden Vault from any browser, mobile device, or desktop application.
- Align to the highest security standards with a global community of password security experts and Bitwarden users.
Price: $0 (free) for 2 users. $3/month for Teams.
Dashlane fills all your passwords, payments, and personal details wherever you need them, across the web, on any device.
So you can get right to what you want to do.
No roadblocks. No stopping.
Yes, we're a password manager.
But we can radically simplify your whole life online.
Price: $10 per year for Premium
Cybersecurity starts with password security. Protect your organization with the leading cybersecurity platform for preventing password-related data breaches and cyberthreats.
- Our zero-knowledge security platform scales to meet the size and requirements of your organization.
- For business that needs advanced provisioning, reporting tools and delegated administration, learn more about Keeper Enterprise.
- Join the millions of people who use Keeper to protect their passwords and private information.
- Protect your family's online privacy with Keeper Family.
- Keeper manages your passwords to prevent data breaches, improve employee productivity, cut helpdesk costs and meet compliance standards.
Keeper also has a 30 Day free trial.
Price: $34.99 billed annually for Personal
LastPass - Updated 12/25/2022 - Wow, this did not age well. NOPE! Do not use Lastpass! See the news about the hack in August 2022 and their subsequent disclosure of how bad that hack really was in December 2022.
- The information you store in 1Password is encrypted, and only you hold the keys to decrypt it. 1Password is designed to protect you from breaches and other threats, and we work with other security experts to make sure our code is rock solid. We can’t see your 1Password data, so we can’t use it, share it, or sell it. Only you have access to your 1Password data. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted to keep it safe at rest and in transit. Our security recipe starts with AES 256-bit encryption, and we use multiple techniques to make sure only you have access to your information.